For all our best intentions to brush and floss consistently, it seems that we can’t always avoid the cavity diagnosis. While brushing and flossing daily is good for your teeth and important for battling gum disease there are other things that we can do to prevent cavities from forming.
- Use a mouthwash after brushing help clear out remaining cavity-forming bacteria.
- Avoid snacking between meals, especially on sugary or chewy foods can accelerate the forming of cavities. But chewing vegetable fiber, like celery, after meals can help stimulate saliva, cleansing the fissures and pits where cavities typically form.
- For those with braces, water picks can be used to do replace flossing which is impossible with most braces.
- Chewing sugar free gum between meals, particularly sweetened by natural xylitol, can help prevent cavities by helping neutralize the PH balance in your mouth and suppressing bacteria growth.
- Visit our office regularly to ensure the application of fluoride, which strengthens enamel thereby preventing tooth decay. Also, if you are prone to cavities, it’s a good idea to have ongoing checkups to catch cavities early while they are small before they can become larger problems.
Proper dental care goes beyond just brushing and flossing. Protecting our smiles isn’t always convenient, but it is rewarding and as one of the premier dental practices serving the Katy, Fulshear, and Richmond Tx communities, it is our mission to help you have the best dental care possible!