You don’t need to take your stress out on your teeth!
But many of us, when stressed or anxious clench our jaws together and grind our teeth. This condition is called “bruxism”. Though hardly a conscious act, it can nevertheless be one with serious consequences. Here are 5 things you need to know about Teeth Grinding or Bruxism:
- In severe cases, the act of grinding your teeth can cause tooth fractures, loosening of your teeth, receding gums, or other damage.
- Most teeth grinding occurs during sleep and those that do it aren’t usually aware that they grind their teeth.
- Many times it is your sleeping partner or family member who first notices the sleeping disorder.
- If you wake up with a headache or a sore jaw, chances are you spent most of the night gnashing your teeth.
- To help you prevent pain and tooth damage, we can provide you with a custom mouth guard.
If you are not sure if you grind your teeth during sleep, we can evaluate your mouth for signs of tooth damage due to bruxism and help get you the relief you seek. Come visit us at Noble Smile Dentistry at our office in Katy, Texas and we will help evaluate whether or not this is an issue for you.