Getting wisdom teeth pulled out is quite bothersome, especially when you have a lot to go on and about. However, excruciating pain always wins over inconvenience. So, if you are pondering through questions about the surgery, you have landed on the right page. We have information about how long does wisdom teeth removal surgery usually take and what to expect during it.
A dentist can pull your wisdom teeth out in approximately 20 minutes each. However, this depends on a lot of factors which are discussed below.
How Long Does A Wisdom Teeth Removal Process Take?
Usually, it takes at most 20 minutes to half an hour, but some circumstances come into play.
- Origination of the tooth or multiple teeth.
- Periodontal disease stage – infection.
- The number of teeth affected.
- Gum health
Wisdom Teeth Surgery – What to Expect
The process is quite comfortable since the mouth is numb; however, you would feel a little discomfort after.
If you ignore the wisdom teeth issue for a long while, your condition will only deter, so early removal can avert consequences.
- An initial examination of the teeth will take place. The dentist will take a good look at the condition of your teeth to decide what kind of action it needs.
- Once the prep is done, you will be given sedation. Now, there are three types of anesthesia: local, IV and general.
- Local anesthesia – spot numbing via drugs like Lidocaine.
- IV sedation – the mouth will be numb, along with IV drugs right in the vein to calm you down.
- General anesthesia puts the person into a deep sleep.
- Now is the time for the removal process. The gum tissue is incised to see if there is space for pulling the tooth out.
- Once the area is apt, your dentist will use the tools to pull the tooth from its roots.
- They might use stitches if needed to close the wound.
Each tooth takes around 20 to 30 minutes, so it can multiply how long it would take to remove all 4 wisdom teeth.
The aftermath of Surgery/complications
The time after wisdom teeth extraction is crucial. One must follow every aftercare protocol to help eliminate the risks of developing certain complications, such as dry socket formation. It is an excruciatingly painful condition that can make daily life a living hell.
The next burning question people ask is, “how long does it take to heal completely after wisdom teeth removal?”
You should know that recovery or healing involves swelling of gums, mild bleeding as well as discomfort for the next 3-4 days.
You can ask for prescription drugs to help with the pain or swelling. Moreover, using a cold compress helps a great deal too.
Warm steamy cloth on the outer jaw can reduce the soreness to a great extent. With that, you must make dietary modifications to accommodate the changes in your mouth. For starters, consume only soft foods and drink plenty of fluids like water and juices for the first few days.
Also, remember to follow your teeth cleaning regime from day 2; however, leave the action site until it fully heals.
Lastly, steer clear from any sort of exertion or strenuous activities to accentuate blood scab building and consequent wound healing.
If you have further questions, feel free to contact the best dentist in Katy, TX, from Nobel Smile Family and Cosmetic Dentistry at (281)-394-2929. We will be more than happy to be of assistance.